Monday 1 October 2012

CS3216 Recess Week --- A sense of community

The whole recess was about CS3216 assignment 3. We spent 5 days together nearly round the clock everyday. We were like a group coding gangsters lingering around in SOC for the five days.

My FB post:

if(morning) view from SOC.window: "the sky is turning bright."
if(evening) view from SOC.window: "the sky is turning dark."


Colin's reply:

SOC.window.addEventListener('morning', function(event)
{
alert('the sky is turning bright');

}

SOC.window.addEventListener('evening', function (event)
{
alert('the sky is turning dark');
}

Move with the times bro. :D


I was planning to learn some new stuff about database and the Slim Framework, and CSS styling, but eventually I ended up with a lot of .js files dealing with Ajax calls that handles various click events in out mobile cloud app, which I am more familiar with, which I had done a lot for my first assignment.

So regarding technical learning outcome, I didn't really have anything new to share, though I am really glad that my skills to implement Ajax calls were reinforced.

However, another aspect about CS3216 I found during last week is the sense of community. Four of us were strongly bonded together for a single assignment. I guess none of us would invest such a great amount of time and efforts into a 15% assignment for any other module. We did that because we chose it and we promised we would make a difference. We worked together and no one complained about anything, but a few hot discussions that made people sitting around us drop their jaws at COM1.

At the midnight of last Friday, when we finished final submission and went back to our hostels, I just felt a big loss and hoped we could work together more. Fortunately three of us will be staying together for the final project, improving the current assignment 3 app. Although Jin Guan is leaving, he made a tremendous contribution and also left lots of good suggestions behind. I hope he could be my shadow member as he said.

We have plenty of time to improve CrossView during the final, and we'll do it again, together.

No comments:

Post a Comment