Friday 21 September 2012

Week of dilemma

Week 6 of CS3216, no coding, no meeting up, no messages, but a week of dilemma.

I even wanted to name our group 'silence' on Facebook. Such a big tension between us, some want to extend current project to final, some are leaving for their assignment 1 group members and some are wanted by many others.

But what can I do as a learner for all the web development skills? The only option might be to join a group with strong developers and learn from them, contributing a bit where applicable. It seems impossible and impractical to pitch my own idea and gather people.

But that's what I did to retain my current great teammates. To let them stay, I decided to pitch the idea. The negative feedback was actually good for me. My group was somehow reunited as they would demonstrate to the audience that things might not be different from their critical judgement. The counter-effect.

And it's also very encouraging that I got a new fantastic designer, who joined my group after the pitch, to replace the member who is leaving for his assignment 1 group.


The whole week 6 was used to resolve grouping issues. Either you compromise your idea, or you compromise your dear group members. Neither is what I wanted, but I have to choose one.

I love my assignment 1 group, where three ideas arose up for the final, and all pitched. We were split into three incomplete groups, struggling for new members, and struggling for the team bonding.

You are nicest people I met in various NUS projects.

2 comments:

  1. In some ways 3216 is a series of head-fakes. It's not really a technical course although the title says "software development". It doesn't really teach you how to develop apps, but you do learn a lot of soft skills - like negotiating ideas with your team mates, and working out compromises. ;)

    So you walk into what is supposedly a hard-skills course, and walk out getting your soft-skills worked on. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. True. I can already feel what CS3216 has brought me when talking to my Engineering classmates. The common 'follow instructions' mindset has been gone and I resolved a lot of issues other than technical stuff.

      Delete